Seth Bonder Camp in Data and Computational Science
I run the Seth Bonder summer Camp in Computational and Data Science for middle- and high-school students every summer at the University of Michigan. The camp does not assume any computational skills and introduces computational skills through applications in social science, biology, and medicine. Basic techniques in computational social science, computational biology, machine learning, and optimization are covered. See the pictures of the 2017 edition.
Courses at Brown University
While at Brown, I received the Philip J. Bray Award for Teaching Excellence in the Physical Sciences and I taught a variety of classes for about 20 years in the department of computer science. Here are some of them with some reviews.
- CS-031: Introduction to Computer Systems (Sophomore Class) – Review: Fall 2009
- CS-258: Solving Hard Problems in Combinatorial Optimization (Graduate Class) – Review: Spring 2010
- CS-181: Introduction to Computational Biology (Undergraduate Class) – Review: 2003
I learned everything I know about teaching from Dave Sklar, Andy van Dam, Philip Klein, and amazing TAs.
Courses at the University of Michigan
- Fall 2017: IOE 412: Constraint Programming.
- Winter 2017: Infrastructure Optimization.
- Fall 2016: IOE 491: Constraint Programming: Review.
- Winter 2016: IOE 491: Constraint Programming: Review.
Massively Online Open Courses
I am teaching a MOOC on Discrete Optimization on Coursera. The new version of the course, on the Coursera platform, has been submitted to Coursera, so it should be available soon. Stay tuned.
Current PhD Students
- Geunyeong Byeon, IOE
- Alvaro Flores, CS
- Mohd Hafiz Hasan, CS
- Edward Lam, CS
- Felipe Maldonado, CS
- Arthur Mateo, CS
- Connor Riley, IOE
- Byron Tasseff, IOE (NSF GRF)
Current Undergraduate Students
- Byoung Hyun Bae, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering (2017 -)
- Joyce (Jiayu) Chen, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering (2017 -)
- Jacob Ketterer, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering (2015 – )
- Yeqing Lin, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Computer Science and Data Science. (2016 -)
- Joshua Lustig, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering and Industrial and Operations Engineering. (2016 -)
- Lyndon Shi, Seth Bonder Undergraduate, Electrical and Computer Engineering. (2017 -)
I have had the opportunity to work with an outstanding group of undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate students over the years. Here are some of them (ordered by number of joint papers) with their first or current job.
- Laurent Michel, Professor, University of Connecticut.
- Russell Bent, Los Alamos National Laboratories.
- Carleton Coffrin, Los Alamos National Laboratories.
- Ivan Dotu, Boston College.
- Andrés Abeliuk, MIT Media Lab.
- Justin Yip, Google.
- Yannis Vergados, Federal Express.
- Luc Mercier, Google.
- Agostino Cortesi, University of Venice.
- Micha Janssen, Euro Control.
- Viswanath Ramachandran, Netscape.
- Ionut Aron, WorldQuant LLC.
- Julia Romanski, MIT.
- Gregoire Dooms, Systematica Investments.
- Nabeel Gillani, Rhodes Scholar, Kahn Academy.
- Ben Simon, Google.
- Karsten Lehmann, Satalia, Berlin
- Terrence Mak
Some students believe that I am a scary professor …